When Advance Auto Parts brought TMA on as their creative partner last year to relaunch DieHard® batteries, one of the most iconic brands in automotive history, on the shelves of Advance Auto Parts, we all knew we were creating something special.
For the first time, Advance Auto Parts and TMA brought together DieHard the battery and “Die Hard” the motion picture in a 2-minute film in which Hollywood legend Bruce Willis reprises his role of Detective John McClane.
The new film begins with McClane and a dead car battery. Before he can make it to Advance Auto Parts, McClane crosses paths with old foe Theo and his crew. After a narrow escape and a chance meeting with limo driver Argyle, the action accelerates. From bad guy takedowns to a giant earth mover chase and, of course, a massive explosion, the film merges the worlds of the action classic “Die Hard” and the battery, showing viewers that McClane and DieHard are equally reliable, durable, and powerful.
The TMA crafted campaign and film performed incredibly well in-market, and similar to a DieHard battery, continue to perform and do the iconic brand and character justice this awards season. Here’s a look at the “DieHard is Back” award wins to date.
- Grand Clio Winner: Home Entertainment, Partnerships Branded Content Video
- Gold: Home Entertainment, Audio/Visual, Spot
- Gold: Home Entertainment, Consumer Product, Other
- Gold: Home Entertainment, Integrated Campaign
- Gold: Home Entertainment, Partnerships Branded Content Video
Campaign Big Awards
- Winner: Automotive
American Advertising Awards
- Gold (Local & District): Regional/National TV Commercial
- Gold (Local & District): Branded Content & Entertainment for TV
- Gold (Local & District): Cinematography — Single
- Winner (National): Elements of Advertising, Cinematography
- Gold: Best Brand Awareness
- Gold: Best Buzz
- Gold: Best Use of Video
- Silver: Best Entertainment Sponsorship or Tie-In
- Silver: Best Integrated Campaign
- Bronze: Automotive, Aftermarket
- Shortlist: Branded Entertainment
- Shortlist: Creative Effectiveness
Congratulations to our clients, partners, and everyone at TMA who helped to bring this campaign and film to life!